Author Topic: Interior Paneling plus Z-strips  (Read 423 times)

Willtheymakeit?

• View Profile
Interior Paneling plus Z-strips
« on: February 09, 2018, 03:34:56 PM »
Has anyone dis-assembled  or re-paneled a bathroom door?  We will be re-paneling our interior with a different color laminate.  The part that has me most concerned is the bathroom door.  The perimeter frame of the door is made of wood.  Aside from the perimeter framework, it feels like there are additional horizontal frame members, presumably also made of wood.  I'm guessing that the hollow parts of the door may be styrofoam-filled.  The interior door face already fits tight against the stop on the aluminum door jamb, so I don't think it is going to be possible to just glue a new panel over the top of the existing one.  Even if I could do that, it would involve a weight penalty.  I expect I'll have to peel the existing laminate panels from the door frame.  If it turns out that the horizontal frame members are made from corrugated cardboard (I've seen this on hollow-core household doors!), removing the old laminate would likely wreck the door.  Before I tackle this job I'd like to hear from anyone who has experience with re-paneling a bathroom door or who at least knows how the door is constructed. 

My second question has to do with the aluminum Z-strips that hold interior paneling in place.  I'd really like to use an alternative that would allow easier/safer removal of laminate panels.   What successful methods have you used or seen?  Have you fabricated new Z-strips?  What techniques did you use for bending the aluminum?  How did you finish your replacement Z-strips to match or coordinate with your paneling?  I'm all ears.

In re-paneling, where did you deviate from the original panel shapes and dimensions?  What practical benefits did it have?

I'm looking to learn from anyone who has already paid their tuition at the UltraVan campus of the university of life.  Thanks in advance, scholars.

Gary Anderson

rickmilne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Interior Paneling plus Z-strips
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 05:22:31 PM »
 ;D Haven't disassembled the door, but I have all the pieces laying around. Yes, it feels that the door is constructed like a common hollow core, with styrofoam embedded. Depending on what color/texture/etc you are looking to do, probably the simplest thing would be a vinyl overlay. I have numerous sources for wood grain vinyl (think the old "Woody" wagons from the '70's), as well as solid color material that I could cut and send if you wish.

As for the Z strips.. My plan is to do a simply butt joint at the panels and cover them with a decorative strip. I figure the panels should only need to come apart once in restoration, so they can be riveted back into place as needed. But then, I'm planning on replacing all the hardboard panels with aluminum anyway.

Rick

Owen

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Interior Paneling plus Z-strips
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 10:04:50 AM »
Jon Crisman either reskinned his bathroom door or simply made a new one. Pictures are on the yahoo group albums page.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/UltraVan/photos/albums/1908960904

Larry Forman reskinned the inside of his bathroom door, and reused the removed original laminate elsewhere.

I don't have any Z-strip info.