Author Topic: UV256 Our Second Ultravan.  (Read 1510 times)

Ultravan Owners

• Tony and Marie, UVMC Club Members since 2008
    • View Profile
UV256 Our Second Ultravan.
« on: November 27, 2015, 10:15:18 PM »
UV256 is our second Ultravan and was purchased in 2008 shortly after we purchased UV248 from the same owner.
We agreed to buy UV248 first only if we were able to buy both of them.
UV256 (aka Itchy Feet II) had a frozen engine and was sitting for over 28 year.
Or at least that was the last time the plates were registered.
I was blessed to get her road worthy again in less than one year of owning her.
I replaced all brakes, wheel cylinders, front brake hoses and repacked the front bearings.
After I rebuilt the carbs and got it running; I installed the used power-plant that I took out of a Corvair parts car I had.
I drove Itchy Feet II for two years and took her to local curies nights and car shows.
She might be an ugly duckling. But we are very proud to have her as part of our family.

This is one way to get an Ultravan up onto a transport trailer.

The Driver had to wait over night with UV256 in the Lowe's parking lot until the next day.
The USA border is only open for exporting vehicles from 8am to 4pm M-F.
All paper work has to be in their hands 72 hours before you try to export any vehicle out of the USA.
I met the driver first thing in the morning to get UV256 into Canada.
I was the broker and did all the paper work on both sides of the border.

Here is a close up of UV256 up the transport trailer in the Lowe's parking lot.

UV256 along with our 63 Rampside (now sold) at its first car show in 2009.

The interior of UV256 will be used to help restore UV248 (aka Itchy Feet).

If all goes as planned I hope to install this in UV256 someday soon.
I have started a 3800 conversion thread and as soon as I have my garage I will move forward on this project.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 10:38:56 AM by Tony and Marie »
Tony - US Army and ASE Mechanic, Retired.
Location - Ottawa, Canada

Ultravan Owners

• View Profile
Re: UV256 Our Second Ultravan.
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 11:06:23 AM »
I believe it was 2012 when I removed the power-plant out of UV256 aka Itchy Feet II

UV256 up on blocks and I just removed the power-plant.

I came up with what I feel was a creative way to move the power-plant by myself.

I am pulling the power-plant into the barn.

I almost have the power-plant in the barn where I wanted to store it.

rickmilne

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:09 AM »
 ;D Whatever works, Tony! I've dropped lots of things onto plywood to get them where they need to go...

256 actually doesn't look that bad, condition-wise. With no interior, what is the plan for it? Utility hauler? Mobile coffee shop?

Ultravan Owners

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 11:36:20 AM »
The front suspension before I started removing it.

I removed the lower control arm as one unit; with the spindle, hub, and brakes to get out of the cold as soon as possible. 

You can see in this picture that it started snowing. You can also see the donor Olds LSS that I purchased for the 3800 conversion I have planned for UV256.

It was too cold to stay outside working and the snow was the kicker to get my silly butt back inside where it was warm.   ;D

In this picture I am loading up the lower control arm along with my custom Ultravan tow bar brackets so I can go inside where it was warm.  ;D
The tow bar brackets were my first design for Corvair Ultravans up to #410 without the 4' long angle bracing running from the driver's to passenger's lower control arm pivot points. I should also mention that it was designed to help stiffen up the lower mounting points similar to what the 4' long angle bracing does. However, maybe not as strong as the 4' bracing. 

« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:56:30 AM by Tony and Marie »

Ultravan Owners

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
;D Whatever works, Tony! I've dropped lots of things onto plywood to get them where they need to go...

256 actually doesn't look that bad, condition-wise. With no interior, what is the plan for it? Utility hauler? Mobile coffee shop?

Rick,

The body is not too bad. But it does have its problems. And the interior is still in until I go to restore UV248 aka Itchy Feet.

If you look closely in the picture below you will see the damage above the bedroom window.
The side panel is rippled just above the window and in front of the rear clearance light.
I strongly believe a tree caused the damage. The roof took the worst of it and will have to be replaced.
The drip rail is also damaged and it maybe able to be straightened out or I might have to replace it to along with the entire roof panel when I go to fix/replace the side panel. 
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 11:57:01 AM by Tony and Marie »